BMW 5 Series E39 1997 – 2002 Bentley Repair Manual PDF
Though the do-it-yourself BMW owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the BMW owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
- 6-cylinder engines: M52, M52 TU, M54
- V-8 engines: M62, M62 TU
Fuel injection systems covered:
- Bosch M 5.2, M 5.2.1, ME 7.2
- Siemens MS 41.0, MS 42.0, MS 43.0
Manual transmissions covered:
- Getrag S5D 250G, S6S 420G
- ZF S5D 320Z
Automatic transmissions covered:
- A4S 270R, A4S 310R
- A5S 360R, A5S 390R
- A5S 325Z
- A5S 560Z, A5S 440Z
For the BMW owner with basic mechanical skills and for independent auto service professionals, this manual includes many of the specifications and procedures that were available to an authorized BMW dealer service department as this manual went to press. The BMW owner with no intention of working on his or her car will find that owning and referring to this manual makes it possible to be better informed and to more knowledgeably discuss repairs with a professional automotive technician.
If you are a BMW owner intending to do maintenance and repair work, make sure you have screwdrivers, a set of metric wrenches and sockets and metric Allen and Torx wrenches, since those basic hand tools are needed for most of the work described in this manual. Many procedures also require a torque wrench to ensure that fasteners are tightened properly and in accordance with specifications. Additional information on basic tools and other tips are in 010 General, in some cases, the text refers to special tools that are recommended or required to accomplish adjustmenis or repairs. These tools are usually identified by their BMW special tool number and illustrated.
- Procedures from the basic oil change service to interpreting the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
- Engine and cylinder head service, including camshaft timing chain setup and adjustment.
- Information for specific driveability problems, including explanation of engine management systems and BMW OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Theory of operation and repair information for the Siemens and Bosch engine management systems.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of self-adjusting clutch (SAC), gearshift linkage, driveshaft, and drive axles.
- Manual and automatic transmission removal, installation, seal replacement and external service.
- System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
- Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKA and IHKR), including component replacement.
- Body adjustments and repairs, including sunroof and tailgate.
- Wiring schematics and extensive electrical component section specifying relay, control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.
Bentley manuals are written specifically for the do-it-yourselfer, yet are complete enough to be used by professional mechanics. Bentley has produced manuals written from hands-on experience based on a vehicle teardown with hundreds of photos and illustrations, making Bentley the world leader in automotive repair information.
Size: 44.8 Mb
Free download BMW 5 Series E39 1997 – 2002 Bentley Repair Manual PDF